BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pregnant in America

I am not pregnant, nor do I plan to be any time soon and yet I found myself experiencing a mix of emotions when watching these two documentaries: The Business of Being Born and Pregnant in America. If you haven't watched these, you should. I had no idea the U.S. has the highest C-section rate out of any country. I had no idea that doctors discourage you from having home births and natural births. I had no idea a home birth was an option. I had no idea they price health care cost to discourage you from having at home births. After watching these, I thought, "I will not be wheeled into a hospital room and have nurses and a doc tell me how I'm going to have my baby". The way they do it is all wrong; all wrong! I want an intimate, loving, and bonding experience if and when I give birth. So, as of right now that is what I would like to do. I couldn't do it without the love and support of my husband and family because I know in the midst of it all it is very tempting to say "GET ME AN EPIDURAL!" lol I even got my husband to watch one of them and he totally agrees! But there is a problem. In Alabama you can have your baby at home, but it is against the law for a midwife to assist you. After deciding I may want to do this, then finding out about the law....I felt like I had the rug pulled out from under me. I feel like Alabama has basically taken away my options, like the state is basically telling me this is how your going to have your baby. AND I'M FURIOUS! And I'm not even pregnant! From what little I've researched you can drive to TN, but that's not in the comfort of my own  home; my nest. I shouldn't have to drive to TN to be able to give birth to my baby the way I feel is right. So many women just go along with it because they have no idea! Now, I'm not bashing doctors because there are some good ones out there, and thank God we have them when the need arises, But that's just it. I want a doctor if the need arises, otherwise, I want nature to take its course. I don't want bright lights, needles, synthetic hormones, and no immediate bonding time with my baby. Did you know that it isn't even natural to give birth laying down? I understand that some women can't have a natural birth and that is what the doctors should be here for; complicated cases and emergencies. I can't sum it all up on here, but I encourage you to watch these documentaries. Even if you don't agree, it's thought provoking. I personally just feel that a mother should be able to choose how she has her baby. Anway, I will continue to do more research on this and write about what I find. If any of you have info or stories please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment